Saturday, April 30, 2011

Go Canoeing or Kayaking - Check!

There is just something special about being on the water - whether it is the ocean, a river, a lake, or an inland sea. Maybe it's because we spend so much time on dry land that it is almost a novelty...but then why do sailors, who spend so much time out to sea, feel the same way? Maybe it's because you never know what you might see or where you might end up...if indeed you end up anywhere. Or the constancy of the surface of the water on a clear day, juxtaposed with knowing so much is going on beneath. Whatever it is, there is some kind of internal pull for me to be on a boat from time to time.

Typically, in Orlando, I end up going to Wekiva Springs and Rock Springs, a beautiful stretch of river coming from a spring that is shaded almost entirely by trees. Yes, there are gators, but they don't bother the boat and add to the fun. I have many fond memories of this area.


This time we went to a big lake in the Lake Louisa Park (what lake we were actually on, I don't know) as we were already there for camping. And once again, this was a first for our friend Carmen!! We had two canoes and a kayak, with two guys in the kayak, Christy and I in one canoe*, and Carmen and her husband Ryan in another.


Ryan made sure that Carmen had an...experience...canoeing. We stayed close to land for the most part, but he made sure they went through all of the reeds, under each of the trees leaning over the water, etc. We were a little worried about her, but it seemed to give her confidence that if she could get through that, then going straight was no big deal. So naturally they started dive-bombing us and splashing people.


It was a beautiful day and not too hot just yet; we saw a big osprey nest and its protective owner, lilly pads, and dragonflies, but no gators. I wish I had more pictures but Matt didn't want to take the camera in case it got wet or things tipped or something. I just think he doesn't trust me not to pull shenanigans. He's probably right. Good times.


*There are a few people in this world I am particularly fond of canoeing with; we just work well together. Christy is one of them, my friend Jenn is another (Jenn and I also rock at caravanning; just saying), and then of course Matt and my dad.

1 comment:

  1. Omg my heart is aching. Miss you so very much! When I saw a pic from this trip on your FB I started pining. How did we go all those years and never take Carmen w/ us? Now it's time to initiate Dan!

    ReplyDelete