Saturday, April 16, 2011

Go to the Pub on Robinson - Check!


There is something about pubs that just screams "Welcome!" - no matter where you are in the world, you can walk into a pub and instantly feel like part of the gang. At least that has been my experience. I don't know if it is the Old World feel, the legacy of being a place where people come together to share great ideas (C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien, and their group* used to meet in one), or that because there are pubs all over the world** - and they are all so similar - that they just make you feel connected to your fellow man. Or maybe it is just the sense of fun that have always been associated with them, like with the German beer halls.*** I'm not sure it is possible to not have fun in a pub.

Whatever it is, since we moved into our house almost five years ago I have been wanting to visit the British one just around the corner from us on Robinson and yet have not. And then when we made friends with the Robinsons, who have spent time in and love England, I knew I couldn't turn 30 without going.

The full text of this list item is "Go to the British Pub on Robinson (I wanted to add WITH the Robinsons, but that might prove difficult)". The Robinsons, however, have moved on to amazing things in another state and I knew wouldn't be returning until long after my birthday. So when our friends Abby and Chris were in town, whom the Robinsons had introduced us to, it seemed like the logical place to get together and eat.

And it did not disappoint. Although the menu was small, It contained all the delicious food one normally finds at a pub - cottage pie, fish and chips, Scottish eggs, etc. - so we ordered most of it and shared. I had actually never eaten a Scottish egg before, as I thought them gross, but they are actually pretty good. Hard boiled egg in a sausage, with A-1 sauce.



The decorations were exactly what one would expect in a pub - small tables and stools, seating enclaves, a wooden bar, advertising decorations, etc. I don't think darts are normally found in a pub, but they didn't take away from the ambience.

It was weird to be inside a restaurant where people could smoke - Florida outlawed smoking in restaurants some time ago, unless drinks made up a certain portion of the proceeds - but I think only one person smoked the whole time we were there and they weren't near us.

To add to the festive mood, there was a surprise birthday party for a Grant (not out friend Grant), and we ended up getting some yummy cake. Happy Birthday Grant!

It all ended up being an awesome, fun (of course) time full of laughter with our very talented friends whom we hope to visit in New York in the not too distant future.


*The Inklings, which is part of the triple entendre of my blog name.

**I (an American) once went to an Irish pub in Berlin that was next to an Egyptian theater and had a Spanish waitress. Awesome.

***Please don't think that by this I am a heavy drinker. I am not. In fact, once when I was in Germany (Cologne to be exact) I ordered milk in a beer hall...and got chewed out for about 5 minutes by the waiter. He just kept saying "unbelievable!". And he did not mean that in a good way. Good times.



.

No comments:

Post a Comment