Monday, April 25, 2011

Go Camping - Check.

Before beginning this post, I would like to make preemptive responses to two questions you might have...as I have already been getting them.

1. Yes, I have been real camping. In tents. In the dead of summer. In Florida, among other places. I have even been camping in a pup tent in the mountains of Georgia, at one of the camping sites along the Appalachian Trail (though we did drive to it). I have had a dog pee on my tent, a raccoon eat its way into my tent for gum I forgot I had, and moved my tent to avoid an impromptu river in the rain. So yes, I am a legit camper.

2. Yes, cabin camping is still a form of camping. Especially in Florida, especially when it is hot. There are still all manner of bugs, furry woodland creatures, uncomfortable sleeping (we slept on a pullout), campfires, s'mores, canoeing, etc., out in the middle of nowhere, so it counts.

So, without further ado...

Two weekends ago we went camping with two other couples at Lake Louisa in Clermont and had an amazing time. The lakes there are great for splashing, the hills good for hiking or biking, and the scenery nice for taking in, but what I enjoyed the most was bonding.

I have known Carmen since I was in middle school and I lived with Christy for 3 and a half years; they are the best friends anyone could have and, as time moves forward, it seems like we never get enough time to spend with each other and all our spouses. Unbeknownst to me until we got there, this was the first time Carmen had done anything close to camping (and this WAS camping, though we look forward to breaking out the tents with her in the fall!) and I was honored to share it with her.

The cabins there are two bedroom, two bath with a pull-out couch, and worked out just fine. They overlook a lake where you can rent canoes...more on that next time. For me, memories of camping always end up being snapshots of thoughts, feelings, and mental pictures.
Trees. Butterflies. Happiness. Grilled savory steak.


Trails. Birds. Boardwalks. Reflections. Lost in thought.


Maps. History. Carvings.


Caterpillars. Reeds. Godzilla.

Gators. Giant, super-pizza-sized lillypads. Bobbers.


Sunsets. Campfire. Gooey s'mores. Star-gazing. Fleeting weekend.

1 comment:

  1. Godzilla come!! :)
    It was a great time, awesome memories, and I can't wait for next time.... Cabin camping that is.... Jury is still out on "real" camping.

    ReplyDelete