Thursday, April 14, 2011

Out of Africa (the movie)


If I were to tell you only one thing about this 1985 motion picture winner, it would be this: It. is. so. long. So long.

If I were to tell you two things, I would add that the people who made this film - and the woman who wrote the book - loved Africa.

The story is based on a book, written by a Danish woman about her time spent in Africa around WWI. It revolves around her almost symbolic marriage that brings her to Kenya and then her love affair with a man there, after her husband is unfaithful. Really, though, it is about the growth of her love for Africa, and the movie does a good job of showing that through lingering scenic shots, a slower pacing, and a sympathetic view of the plight of the natives.

Having just returned from South Africa, watching the movie helped assuage my longing to go back a little bit. It also broke my heart again for the African content - Out of Africa hits on the impact that World War I and colonialism had on that part of the world, reminding me of all the wars and fighting that Africa continues to endure from within and without. Africa will continue to be in my prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment