Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Have a Tea Party - Check!

I'm borderline obsessed with the British monarchy. There. I said it. (Well, typed it.) Not the screaming-oh-my-gosh-they're-royal type, but every time I happen across a show on the Royal Family I can't help but watch it, and every time I see a magazine about them it is all I can do not to buy it. It helps that my friend Carmen will typically buy it for me anyway...like she has since high school...especially if it was on Prince William. It's nice to have friends that know you so well.

I don't think I had much of a chance of not being interested in the family. My birthday is the same as Princess Diana's, though a different year. I was born the year she got married, and I grew up watching Princes William and Harry in the news, who are just slightly younger than I am. What girl doesn't dream of marrying a prince for love? (Kate - you go girl! And Wills, you couldn't have gotten luckier!)

As I have gotten older, my fascination has matured with me. I wonder why anyone would idealize being a princess in the Middle Ages...their lives were awful. Traded as property, forgotten, bartered, unappreciated. Yes, it was a life of ease in one way, but it was also hard. Of course, all life was really hard then. The princesses of the past few hundred years have had somewhat better lives, but I can only imagine what they must go through socially and professionally, always having to be "on", always being judged, watched, and debated. They have my utmost respect, especially after I have grown more aware of the political and news worlds in the past few years. They must have super thick skin. And Kate knew full well what she was getting into. You know that must be love.

"Aaaaaaand....." I'm sure you are thinking. "What does this have to do with a tea party?"

Besides royalty, what is more British than tea? In college, my friend Jenn introduced me to high tea at Disney's Garden View Tea Room at the Grand Floridian, and I have been hooked ever since. It is one of my favorite things to do, and I try to go a few times a year. I've wanted to have a tea party for some time, and when Prince William and Kate's Royal Wedding came, it seemed like the most natural fit.

I couldn't help myself - I got up early and watched the ceremony with friends at 5:30am before work, and that evening got together with other friends to have a tea party and watch the whole thing.

Carmen made sandwiches, I brought tea, Christy had the great idea for cupcakes and set up the table. Fresh gardenias added the final touch. A great time.


In case you missed the wedding, the hats were audacious, the dress stunning, the bride beautiful, the ceremony surprisingly enjoyable and sweet, and the mood, while reserved, was typical of the happiest of weddings you've ever been to. It was a perfect day, and I wish the Duke and Duchess the happiest of ever afters. God save the Queen.

No comments:

Post a Comment