Monday, May 30, 2011

Wedding Dress Party - Check!

If you watched many Friends episodes, there is a good chance you saw the one with all the wedding dresses. In it, Monica dons her soon-to-be-sister-in-law's wedding dress for a majority of the episode, followed by a very pregnant Phoebe who finds a random wedding gown, and eventually Rachel, who wears her dress from her almost-first wedding.

Being avid Friends watchers, my friends and I have seen this episode on more than one occasion in reruns on TBS and the CW, and we have often remarked that it would be fun to do that, once we all were married, just so we could get to wear our dresses one more time.*

And so we did.**

For the guys who might be judging us for this (who am I kidding? The guys have probably already stopped reading and moved on to YouTube), just a little something you need to understand:

When girls pick out a prom dress (and I know you ladies understand this), we love the dress so much that we look for any excuse to wear it for the next few years. College formal? We'll be there! Formal dinner night? Yes, please! Zombie-prom Halloween party? Looking forward to the invite!

When we pick out a wedding dress, we love it so much more...and rarely ever get the chance to wear it again (though I could think of some zombie wedding party opportunities, but I don't want to spoil the dress with fake blood). Not only is the dress typically more expensive than an everyday dress, even when it is simple, it also brings back such fond memories of one of a woman's favorite days.

I think we all still looked awesome in them, even though it lasted for maybe half an hour before we decided they weren't really the most comfortable clothes to sit around in. It was nice to relive our memories together and now I feel like I have the closure I need to get it boxed up and preserved.***


*I actually got to wear mine a second time for a short film done by my husband and one of his friends. I still fit in it then; not really so much this time. Depressing.

**I'm the one on the right; my friends have asked me to withhold their names to protect the awesome.

***For my future daughter? For someone else? For a 20-year anniversary cruise, where I would get it shortened and died black? Who knows!

No comments:

Post a Comment