Saturday, December 31, 2011

Paintball - Check!

Yes, I realize my birthday was six months ago. Yes, I realize I went paintballing six months ago. But, for story purposes I have chosen to ignore those facts. You should try ignoring it, too; it's fun.

Two things you should know about paintball.

1. It hurts like the dickens. Don't believe people when they say it really doesn't hurt, even if those people are playing in shorts and a tank top. Your nerves aren't like theirs. It's going to hurt. Thankfully, the pain is brief* and only serves to up the adrenaline for the next round.

2. It's fun as all get out. It really is as fun as it looks, and the bruising only serves to bond you to your friends more. If it were cheaper (and closer to my house), I think I would go more often.

I first got interested in paintball while on my 8th grade camping trip. My super-cool math teacher had odd welts on her arms, and when I asked her about it she nonchalantly mentioned a paintball trip with her friends. I was hooked; I knew this was something I had to do.

My friends in high school would play paintball in the woods, but they were all too chivalrous to hit a girl. Or so they said. Time moved on, and 17 years later I still had not played paintball. Thankfully, my husband and friends now don't seem to have the same issue about shooting wads of paint at me at high speeds.

We had an awesome time, the 15 of us, playing capture the flag, cops and robbers, and other mini-games. A video I will include in a post about my birthday has some clips of paintballing, but for now I will leave you with the pictures below.

My jacket - notice the dead center shot. That was the first time I got hit, by Jon. I had five shirts on, so that didn't really hurt. The thigh shots were what killed.

*Unless you are shot at point blank range, maybe in the knee or hand. Sorry Andrew, sorry Jeff. My bad.



1 comment: