Saturday, July 9, 2011

Finish a Book Series - Check!

There is a reason I don't read - I can't stop. Once I start a book, or heaven-forbid a series, I will read until I finish*...whether that means forgoing sleep, food, friends, whatever. I'm dead to the world until I have read every last word.

Sure, I may go to work, school, dinner with people, etc., but my mind is replaying events over and over from the book and I cannot get closure until I have finished it. Making me not very good company.

I've found ways to compensate over the years - I read smaller books; I read only on days when I have nothing else to do (not very often); I read the last chapter about 30 minutes before I know I need to go to bed or look up the plot on the internet.

But it doesn't matter.

Because it's not about the ending - it's about every single little detail that got the book there.

Because I love to read; and reading a little only makes me hunger for more. Growing up I think I read over 100 books during a particular summer break.

Because the people in the books become so real to me, even if books aren't connected but have the same character, I want to know what's going on in their life now (hence my Nancy Drew collection).

And it's these things and so much more that give me my irrational "fear" of Barnes & Noble.

But I digress. Where were we? Oh yes, finishing a book series.

Earlier this week I started reading The Hunger Games, and today I finished the trilogy. A very good series, full of action and giving one things to chew on. I'm looking forward to talking about them at my new book club. For their sake, I will refrain from making any comments on the plots of the books here.

The books are geared toward the young adult audience, but I think people of any age would enjoy them. They are a pretty quick read; even though they are almost 400 pages a piece, the words are pretty big, the lines spaced out, and the margins wide. But wait until you have some time, because once you start you won't want to stop.

And make sure you have all three at one time. I'm just saying.

Or maybe that's just me.

*The somewhat recent exception to this is the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind. I started reading what I thought was an eight-book set that turned out to be a 12-book set. And these are mammoth, 1,000-page, small print books. After being dead to the world for a few months of reading them intermittently between work and church and trying not to ignore my husband, I did the unthinkable...I stopped half-way through book nine. This is an excellent series, and I want to finish them someday. The original intent of this item was to do just that, but I don't think I'm ready to pick them back up yet. Besides, I read the last chapter; I know how it ends...**


**That was for you, Tiff. :)

1 comment: