Thursday, March 24, 2011

Learn to Ride a Unicycle - Check!


When I got married, I became co-owner of a unicycle that taunts me every time I go into the utility room. Even though I had never ridden it before this week, I have always gained some satisfaction from the fact that we own it. I mean, who owns a (an? It just sounds wrong) unicycle? Strangely, quite a few people I know. I think when God dealt out cards for people to learn how to ride unicycles, an inordinate amount came to those around me.


This week, the time came for me to be one of those people who not only own a unicycle, but one who can also ride one - or at least attempts to. We got together with our friends Jon and Ellen, and Jon's brother and sister, and headed to a covered cement area at a school near their house. I know it is technically spring, but it felt like summer, so the covering really made it all possible. Learning to ride a unicycle was just like when I learned to ride a bike...except that it is much harder, I'm much taller so have farther to fall, I feel more breakable, and I don't see it as my key to freedom around the neighborhood, so the drive to learn how to do it isn't quite as strong. Nevertheless, it was a lot of fun.

As we took turns learning, I am pleased to hand out the following "Golden Unicycle Awards":

For her amazing ability to stay up on her own, Ellen wins the Golden Unicycle Award for Excellence in Balance. She's not doing it in this picture, but she was able to just hold perfectly still without holding on to anything. But for all those pictures I was apparently moving, so in awe of her prowess was I, and they turned out a little blurry or were a few seconds too early or late.

For his spirit of adventure, Jon wins the Golden Unicycle Award for Fearlessness. He got ready each time and just went for it, pushing himself quickly across the pavement. He made a few cycles before tipping over, never really falling. I'm sure if given more time he would have really gotten the hang of it.

For being willing to do something crazy with people he didn't really know, Jon's brother wins the Golden Unicycle Award for Sportsmanship. His sister, unfortunately, wasn't quite tall enough yet for the size of unicycle we have; but she made the best of it and cheered everyone on as we tried. For her attitude of fun, she wins the Golden Unicycle Award for Spectators.

Matt, as the instructor and skilled veteran, did not receive any award except the satisfaction that comes with being a good coach.

As for me, I did travel the longest distance around the pavilion (the United States was painted on the ground, so technically I cycled across the U.S.), with help of course. However, I win the Golden Unicycle Award for Hardest Fall. This picture is an almost fall, not the bad one. When I did finally bite it, I was doing so well...and then I wasn't. Fell flat on my back, which is embarrassing because one is supposed to be leaning a little forward. But, no bruises, cuts, or scrapes, so all is well.

Will I try again? Yes!!

No comments:

Post a Comment