Sunday, January 23, 2011

Ride a Segway - Check!

Epcot (formerly EPCOT - the Experimental Prototype Community Of Tomorrow) never ceases to surprise me. Typically, when I go (which has oddly been a lot recently), it's to visit the countries, see Soarin', watch the final fireworks, or shop. But each time I see something that I didn't realize was there before, or explore an area I had skipped in the past. There is so much more than meets the eye. The backs of the countries have neat little enclaves that help you to feel like you're really in that country. The Kim Possible missions add a special something to each area. Figment still makes me smile. And, I was pleasantly surprised to rediscover the areas at the front of the parks showcasing innovation.

Now, I remember going in these areas when I was younger. I vividly remember photo editing to make people's faces look funny, in a time before we had a home computer. Mind-blowing. And I remember leaving my favorite sunglasses there, and by the time I noticed they were gone, well, they were gone (they were so cool -the lenses had three colors, a dark blue at the top, a light blue in the middle, and white at the bottom; I still miss them). But in recent years, I am guilty of just cutting through there to get to Soarin' before everyone else (now do you know where I'm talking about?), and barely taking a second glance.

To get to the point...Thanks to my friend Jen and her husband Dave, I got to ride a Segway at Epcot! That's right, there in the front of the park, nestled among what I like to call fun, is a showcase that allows anyone over 16 (with minor restrictions) to ride a Segway. It's a quick ride, but definitely enough to get the feel of it. I know I have walked by it, but I never realized it was there. Jen made sure that THIS time we did more than just walk by. We stopped to smell the roses.




No comments:

Post a Comment