Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Sing Karaoke - Check?

I have presented on panels, sung in front of thousands, and participated in district Toastmasters competitions, but nothing...NOTHING...makes me as nervous as singing karaoke.

Maybe it is the pressure of picking just the right song (pop-y and fun but not stupid, hard to sing yet with a good hook, classic yet relevant, and one everyone hasn't already heard that night); maybe it is the competition felt with the girl who has decided this is HER karaoke place and she just lets you sing, though of course you will never be as good as her; or maybe it is the fear of realizing you don't know the song as well as you thought you did and you will make an idiot of yourself in front of everyone, and while they may have heard you sing before they might realize that apparently you've gotten suckier. Whatever it is about it that makes my knees want to give way, it also makes it insanely fun.

So of course I had to add it to the list.

Technically, I did karaoke in the last 6 months at Matt's work holiday get together, but the song I picked just wasn't the right one; no hook, not as well known, and it all sounded the same. I needed to redeem myself with something with piZZAZ.

So when my sister and brother-in-law were in town and suggested going karaokeing (sp?) at their resort, I was all in.

That night there was a big thunderstorm - as there is every night lately - and the karaoke place was of course at a rooftop venue. I was nervous, but no one else seemed to be, and it ended up just being a nice backdrop.

The Karaoke Queen was there, but everyone was on vacation and just there to have fun. Kids sang, groups sang, and no one was judging anyone. It was the perfect karaoke venue. It was chill enough to coax my brother-in-law to sing, which is quite a big deal since he hadn't done karaoke since he came back from Japan a few years ago.
He did a...classic...version of Backstreet Boy's "I want it that way." It was a special moment in time; I've never heard nor seen anything like it. He had the crowd dancing and wailing for more, even doing a quick stag split on the ground. You are sorry you missed it, I promise you.

Matt did the best version I have ever seen of "Ice, Ice, Baby." He has never been hotter. The crowd loved him. If you ask him nicely he might do it for you sometime.

Heather and I decided to do a duet, and we wanted to pick just the right song. Maybe "I'm gonna be/500 Miles" by the Proclaimers, "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun," or something from Ace of Base, or "Footloose." Finally, we decided on "I will survive" by Gloria Gaynor, a solid karaoke tune. We turned in our name and waited. And waited. The pit-of-the-stomach ache grew.

Then the DJ gave us a nod that we were coming up, let one more guy sing...and said goodnight, opening it up to a dance party. Doh! We thought he forgot us, but he told Matt his time was up and he had to finish. *sigh*. We still had a great time, though, and it was so wonderful to see my sis and her hubby.

Since two of our party got to sing, we actually picked a song and got nervous, and I had sung in January, I'm counting this item as done.

1 comment:

  1. My favorite Karaoke songs:
    "One Week" by Barenaked Ladies and
    "King of Wishful Thinking" by Go West.

    ReplyDelete